Thursday, August 6, 2009

Shirley: Day 4-NO Rain, Hurray

Our God is an awesome God; He reigns so it does not rain if He so chooses. Praise His Holy Name!

For those who just checked-in and want to know why I keep talking about rain, it is because THUNDERSTORMS were forecast for this week, with the rain letting up by Sunday, August 9th! The fact that it just drizzled just one day and has been clear since is nothing short of miraculous. God does answer prayers and He sure has great timing as well!

I think the fatigue is setting in for everyone. Kohichi noticed how exhausted everyone looked, so we drove everyone up to the center today in 2 cars. We left much later than the team usually leaves, but they were set up in no time and we still arrived and were ready before the first participants arrived. A couple of children still come very early, before 9:30AM every day!

The Challenge

So, is it possible for Japanese children to learn 4 English-language songs in just a few days?! The answer is a resounding, YES, YES and YES! Who says elementary school kids cannot learn English that quickly, hm???????? I think all of us set the bar too low when it comes to young children. They are capable of soooooo much more than we think.

The kids are taking the CD's home and listening to them, some listen and practice in the car, little Sara and Amelia, both aged 3, are so good at the first two songs already, "SonRock Kids Camp" and "I'm Keepin My Eyes on Jesus". They both know the hand motions well which is amazing to me.

Story & Crafts

I loved today's story with the live actors, namely Tim, Matt and Vincy. Today's bible story was about "forgiveness" and was based on Peter's denial before Jesus' crucifixtion and reinstatement after the Lord's resurrection. I am not sure the kids got it, but I know for a fact the mothers did. That was really interesting to watch the changes on their faces.

During craft time, one new mother asked me immediately about the number "4" in the "4-given" key chain they made today. I know that the number "4" is a culturally sensitive number since it can sound like the word for "death" in Japanese. I was worried about it for a while, but then realized the symbol of the cross Jesus died on is a reminder of the great pain, suffering and death our Lord took upon Himself for our sins. If the first thing people think of is "death" when people in Japan see the number "4", that is exactly the message we want to convey. Jesus died a terrible, horrible death. But the story does not end there; the basis of our faith is in His Resurrection! The bigger story is not about death, but LIFE, in fact, life everlasting! So, this was a very good craft that got to our message quickly and deeply, a keeper for future reference, I think!

This same mom also commented that it was nice to see older "kids" helping and/or playing with younger kids at an event. She said that there were no opportunities like that in Japan for younger and older kids to interact. I should think about inviting more older "kid" helpers next year...

Let the Games Begin

These have got to be some of the most creative yet physically exhausting games yet. We saw every child's competitive side come out during this game. They definitely put their all into it!

We ended around 12:30PM, cleaned up and part of the team headed out with Mrs. Hoki and Mrs. Onizuka for an outing in Yokohama. I drove 2 team members back to Yokosuka, since I had to take my 2 older girls to music lessons in the afternoon.

It is sad to think we have only one more day left together. So many mothers have asked if we will have VBS again next year, even the mothers who volunteered to help. God willing, I do hope so, and pray we will be around to host it still.

I think I will call it an early night and go to sleep! Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment